You haven't yet viewed any products on our store. If you've been here before, you may need to sign in.
Think beach, think sunshine, think freedom, think new beginnings and hope. One reader wrote: "Jan Ellis describes s… twitter.com/i/web/status… … 5 days ago
At Waverley we love maps. This new map is a colourful illustrated map of clan lands, with 150
registered clan tartans, plus information about Highland dress, the story of tartan, and the clan system. Available from mid-October. We will produce an edition in a tube soon.
• Sir Walter Scott’s role in the tartan revival
• clan badges, crests and mottoes
• how to wear a belted plaid or ‘the great kilt’
• what a clan really is and how the clan system
• the origins of tartan
• the natural vegetable and plant dyes used in
• the purpose of ‘universal tartans’
• what women’s traditional dress looked like –
• associated clans of around 300 family names,
• the jargon of tartan – a glossary defining
‘weathered’, ‘reproduction’, ‘ancient’, ‘modern’,
‘dress’, ‘hunting’ and more
• the story of the Sobieski Stuarts and the
If you enjoy the history and romance of tartan, this
map provides an entertaining insight into the spectacle
and pageantry that created the national costume, the
political system that created the clans, and the tradition
and ceremony associated with wearing Highland dress.